United States (313,460)
Classics (86)
CLAS 430 (86)
blondell (22)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Washington
CLAS 430

Classics 210: Greek & Roman Classics in English 10/14 Euripides’ Hippolytus  “But those whose pride is stiff-necked against me I lay by the heels” Aphrodite foreshadowing.  Aphrodite (goddess of love & beauty – sensual) angry with Hippolytus (son to Theseus) for rejecting her  makes Phaedra (Hippolytus’ step-mother, wife to Theseus) lust over him as a punishment.  Novel opens with Hippolytus and his friends singing praises to Artemis (goddess of the hunt – virginal.) They call her “most beautiful of all that live in Olympus”  A servant of Hippolytus warns Hippolytus about snuffing Aphrodite, cautioning that there may be dire consequences if he continues. Hippolytus leaves; the servant prays to Aphrodite stating that he has no part in rejecting her. He bows/worships her.  The Chorus describes the fate of a woman who is sick though no one, not even her servants, know what ails her. The Chorus gives various explanations such as an affair with another woman or “Hectate’s madness.”  The nurse comes to care for Phaedra, who is restlessly tossing to-and-fro. She begins to go in a maniac attack muttering about Artemis, going to the mountains and hunting.  Phaedra will still not disclose the cause of her sickness. Not to her beloved nurse or servants – she hides her sickness from her husband, swearing that she is not sick.  Nurse pesters Phaedra forcing a confession. Nurse vehemently states, “Cypris (Aphrodite), you are no God… You have ruined her and me and all this house.”  The nurse tells her all hope is not lost; there are magic love charms, spells of enchantment: various remedies for her love-sickness.  Phaedra makes the nurse swear to secrecy. However, she betrays that promise and tells Hippolytus.  Hippolytus goes into a long rant about women and all of the trouble they cause. He concludes with cursing them.  The chorus describes Phaedra’s life. Growing up in Crete  marriage to Theseus  curse of Aphrodite.  She hangs herself, choosing a good name rather than life; in the process easing her heart of its bitter and incestuous lo
More Less

Related notes for CLAS 430

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.