Classics
Course
CLAS 430
Professor
blondell
Semester
Fall

Description
Classics 210: Greek & Roman Classics in English 11/07 Livy’s Ab Urbe Condita/Foundation of the City 1. Preface: rape of Sabine Women and  Not interested in acquiring fame for himself  Intends to write about the greatest nation in the world  As Rome has grown, it has become too large “of late years wealth has made us greedy, and self-indulgence has brought us, through every form of sensual excess, to be, if I may so put it, in love with death both individual and collective” Rome is killing itself.  Going to attempt to be truthful and objective. Not a interpreter of history – give facts and let people decide for themselves.  2 versions of how Rome was founded: i. Remus and Romulus: fight over wall (6/12 vultures) Romulus is murdered ii. OR Romulus just dies, no murder  Moralistic purpose: intended to provide models and make people a better person.  Sabine women in the middle of battle between Sabine’s and Romans. “they besought their fathers on the one side, their husbands on the other, to spare themselves the curse of shedding kindred blood” 2. Lucretia/Overthrow of the Monarchy  She has no moral flaw – blameless  Brutally raped by Sextus  “As for me I am innocent of fault but I will take my punishment” commits suicide  Sacrifices herself for the good of society  Ending of the monarchy. Foreigners are exiled. 3. Hannibal’s youth  Hannibal’s father forced him to promise eternal hatred against Romans.  Equipped to be a great mil
More Less

Related notes for CLAS 430

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit