Classics 210: Greek & Roman Classics in English
• Creation – historical progression from chaos to order. History of how it was
• Why do we suffer, why do we die?
• Ducalion and Pyrrha – repopulate Earth by throwing the bones of their
mother behind their backs. Consulted the Oracle.. but decides to throw
the stones of earth (i.e. mother)
• Io – rape of Io by Jupiter. Transformation into a cow (Io treated like an
animal/property and that aspect of her becomes externalized in the form
of a cow
• Ages of Mankind – why world continues to devolve morally. Kings less and
less effective, which led to the fall of the empire.
• Lycaon flood: Jupiter cannot tolerate world anymore and decides to
remake it through a great flood
• Apollo struck with an arrow to fall in love with Daphne who rejects him. He
turns her into a laurel tree.
• King Phaethon – question of identity (attempting to find out who his father
• Wants to drive his father’s chariot and horses to prove that the Sun is his
• Realizes he does not have the power or strength to drive his father’s
• His father kills him out of mercy.
• Rape of Callisto – angered Juno turns her into a bear.
• Raven & Crow: Coronis’ infidelity to Apollo. He kills Cornonis with an arrow