EXB 102 Lecture 10: Lecture 10- Oct 29

5 Pages

Department
Exercise Biology
Course Code
EXB 102
Professor
Salitsky

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Intrinsic Motivation 10/29/15 Definition: what motivates you from the inside. Doing things for the love of it Factors affecting IM • Control! • Information : value the importance of information ! ! GROUP COHESION- lecture 10 10/29/15 GROUPS Definitions 2 or more persons interacting in such a manner that each person influences and is influenced by each other person. Shaw, 1976. …a group is not simply a crowd of people - a group is characterized by purposeful interaction in goal directed and/or interpersonal behavior. Carron, 1980. ! <> ❒ Image of USA women Hockey with medals and flowers in hands ! Teams that stay together for longer have better chance of success! • • Important words from definition of group: Interaction and influence ! • Crowd of people (vs. group) : people who don't have the influence of interaction e.g. Safeway customers ! ! ! MORE DEFINITIONS OF GROUPS Carron & Cheladurai, 1981 …the factors that separate the group from the random gathering of individuals is the degree of attraction, commitment, and involvement of the individual members related to the collective totality. ! • What makes a team than random people that show up? • How committed are members to each other? • Do you consider them friends? Hanging out after game or school. • These three words are the essence of cohesion: 1. Attraction! 2. Commitment ! 3. Involvement ! ! COHESION from the Latin word COHAESUS meaning to cleave or stick together Definition …a dynamic vs static process that is reflected in the group's tendency to stick together and remain united while pursuing its goals and objectives When enduring diversity. Carron, 1984 ! • Cleave: to push, to stick together ! • Add to definition of cohesion: When enduring adversity ! • Not limited to sports. Team can be a team of surgeons at hospital, etc. ! • Do this as a process ! • Cohesion can win games ! • Working hard, try again and again! ! DIMENSIONS Social Cohesion …the degree to which the members of a team like each other and enjoy each others company. Task Cohesion …the degree to which members of a group work together to achieve a specific and identifiable task. ! • Both of these dimensions are important but one has to be more important in order to get the job done ! Podcast stopped here • Females work out the details of who's alpha ! • Women care about being friends with people of the group, while males don't care about this ! • Tracking and swim are co-ed teams ! Podcast back up • Don't lose the sight of that doing the task and getting it done is the most important thing! • Task important is more important (than social coh
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit