100813 . Sport/Exercise Psychology

3 Pages

Department
Exercise Biology
Course Code
EXB 102
Professor
Paul Salitsky

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
LECTURE 2/3
LOOK OVER MOTOR LEARNING TERMS. DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS.
DON’T HAVE A CERTAIN # OF QUESTIONS NEEDED FOR EACH BLOCK.
GOAL: Collect data in obs setting, think about it and write about it in scientific way….keep bias out of work
Don’t get caught up in game excitement.
Will get poor grade for writing poor paper. Not for being honest. Just report on what you saw.
Write down jersey number, facial expression etc. during game.
Use smartphone and podcast so don’t forget anything.
What do officials and teams do before game? Does it look like a practice? It isn’t! but does it look like it?
1 What is Sport & Exercise Psychology? [20 minutes]
2 WHAT IS SPORT PSYCHOLOGY?
3 FACTORS THAT AFFECT SPORT PERFORMANCE (leave room for graphic): (arrow thickness = Important)
ENVIRONMENT with COACH
-Harder training in practice, the easier the competition is. [more sweat in training, less blood in battle]
-Make practice harder so game seems easier
-Train on hills for running makes running on flat seem easier!
-Should get used to practicing/training in all environments for playing in different environments
-Instead of physical environment, do mental too
-Basketball: make them run 15 suicides then do free throw shots! Why? Because in real game, your
heart will be beating fast and you’ll be tired when throwing free throws!
-Before team plays first night game, should have a couple practices under LIGHTS at night.
-Uniform affect performance: everyone has good clean uniform that matches -> confidence/pride
ENVIRONMENT with ATHLETE
-Fans cheering for players = energy!
-Training in heat/summer or super cold
-Some teams train with crowd noise
-Home vs Away games. Field, bed, weather etc.
ATHLETE with COACH
-Coach suffering with you is motivational (in heat, running beside in cross country)
-Throw chairs/verbal and physical abuse at players when they make mistake = scares them (Bobby
Knight)
-Coach needs to adapt to how athlete responds (some want nice/praise, some like meanness/abuse
-Athlete can adapt to coaches’ coaching style
-Relationship of coach and player affect athletic performance: trust, support system, confidence in you,
same goals/expectations/training, Heads up Baseball by Kim Rivisa = sport psych book.
-Double standard of coach and athlete – coach can drink, players can’t
-Coach interacting with officials (hit referee and get red card, so team’s like “where coach go?”
ATHLETE with ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
-Nutrition, rest, fuel, hydration is responsibility of ATHLETES
-Bring own motivation
-MOST is RESPONSIBILITY OF ATHLETE
4 PSYCHOLOGY (discipline of sports psych comes from parent discipline of psychology)
Experimental Psychology: a lot of how we do things is from this. Going out and observing in real world.
Follow certain protocol to do it correctly.
Developmental Psychology: how they develop cognitively and physically happens in stages.
- ex. Coaching 7 year olds, don’t use complex terms and strategies
Clinical Psychology: clinical problems in some athletes
Sensation & Perception: how we use our senses to perceive and see world around us (good for

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
LECTURE 2/3 100813 LOOK OVER MOTOR LEARNING TERMS. DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS. DON’T HAVE A CERTAIN # OF QUESTIONS NEEDED FOR EACH BLOCK. GOAL: Collect data in obs setting, think about it and write about it in scientific way….keep bias out of work Don’t get caught up in game excitement. Will get poor grade for writing poor paper. Not for being honest. Just report on what you saw. Write down jersey number, facial expression etc. during game. Use smartphone and podcast so don’t forget anything. What do officials and teams do before game? Does it look like a practice? It isn’t! but does it look like it? 1 What is Sport & Exercise Psychology? [20 minutes] 2 WHAT IS SPORT PSYCHOLOGY? 3 FACTORS THAT AFFECT SPORT PERFORMANCE (leave room for graphic): (arrow thickness = Important) ENVIRONMENT with COACH - Harder training in practice, the easier the competition is. [more sweat in training, less blood in battle] - Make practice harder so game seems easier - Train on hills for running makes running on flat seem easier! - Should get used to practicing/training in all environments for playing in different environments - Instead of physical environment, do mental too - Basketball: make them run 15 suicides then do free throw shots! Why? Because in real game, your heart will be beating fast and you’ll be tired when throwing free throws! - Before team plays first night game, should have a couple practices under LIGHTS at night. - Uniform affect performance: everyone has good clean uniform that matches -> confidence/pride ENVIRONMENT with ATHLETE - Fans cheering for players = energy! - Training in heat/summer or super cold - Some teams train with crowd noise - Home vs Away games. Field, bed, weather etc. ATHLETE with COACH - Coach suffering with you is motivational (in heat, running beside in cross country) - Throw chairs/verbal and physical abuse at players when they make mistake = scares them (Bobby Knight) - Coach needs to adapt to how athlete responds (some want nice/praise, some like meanness/abuse - Athlete can adapt to coaches’ coaching style - Relationship of coach and player affect athletic performance: trust, support system, confidence in you, same goals/expectations/training, Heads up Baseball by Kim Rivisa = sport psych book. - Double standard of coach and athlete – coach can drink, players can’t - Coach interacting with officials (hit referee and get red card, so team’s like “where coach go?” ATHLETE with ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE - Nutrition, rest, fuel, hydration is responsibility of ATHLETES - Bring own motivation - MOST is RESPONSIBILITY OF ATHLETE 4 PSYCHOLOGY (discipline of sports psych comes from parent discipline of psychology) Experimental Psychology: a lot of how we do things is from this. Going out and observing in real world. Follow certain protocol to do it correctly. Developmental Psychology: how they develop cognitively and physically happens in stages. - ex. Coaching 7 year olds, don’t use complex terms and strategies Clinical Psychology: clinical problems in some athletes Sensation & Perception: how we use our senses to perceive and see world around us (good for coaches) Social Psychology: why do they wear uniform/logo around campus? Proud? How does sitting here affect them or you? 5 PHYSICAL EDUCATION/KINESIOLOGY/EXERCISE SCIENCE/HUMAN MOVEMENT STUDIES: Motor Learning: how do people learn movement skills? There are stages! - Learning: certain way you should present movement for expert learning Motor Control: come from learning in general and how we can make it more efficient Neurophysiology of Movement: how use senses to guide movement/action Motor Development [NOT ZERO TO EIGHTEEN!!] TEST QUESTION - over entire life span: teach bowling differently to 6y/o compared to 65 y/o because learn differently and different physical abilities (strength, hand-eye coordination, height, flexibility, patience 6 PHYSICAL EDUCATION/KINESIOLOGY/EXERCISE SCIENCE Sport Sociology: does socioeconomic play a role? Gender? Race? SPORT IS ONE OF MOST RACIALLY SEGREGATED PLACE IN OUR COUNTRY! Ex. Women coaches make l
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit