Human Development
Course
HDE 117
Professor
James Carey
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture 1 I. Life Course A. Normal Aging 1. Some people age quickly, some age slowly 2. Differential Rates of Aging a. Bob Hope: died at age 100; looked younger than Johnny Cash when he was < 70s b. Johnny Cash: looked very old and aged; died at age 71 c. Madame Jeanne Calment (1875-1997) i. The oldest person to ever live recorded (122 years and 164 days) 3. Historic Reversal of Age Structure a. From the beginning of time, there have been more children (ages 0-14) population than elderly adult population b. By estimated 2075, the elderly will surpass the younger population 4. Key Vocabulary a. Demography – the study of the population and the processes that shape them b. Population processes – birth rate, death rate, and migration rate (dynamics that shape the population) c. Population characteristics – size, distribution , structure, change i. Static = size, distribution (space), structure (age, sex, ethnicity) ii. Dynamic = change B. Importance of Understanding Longevity 1. Aging world population 4. Emerging biotechnical revolution 2. Fundamental to life and species 5. Business, politics, and economics 3. Personal and family health (quantity follows quality of life) C. Events, Careers, and Biographies 1. Exact Age and Age in Completed Years a. Exact age – time elapsed since person’s birth b. Age in completed years – greatest integer less than this person’s exact age i. Also called age at last birthday 2. Why Age and Age Categories are Important: a. Shorthand for age groups b. Societal threshold ages c. Order and structure 3. Life Course includes intervals of events that occur over the lifespan a. Renewable converted to non-renewable by specifying order (i.e. 1 year old, follows birth; 10 follows 9, etc.) i. Non-renewable – death ii. Renewable – Ex: reproduction, marriage, jobs b. Career – time path of one of major life ‘domains’ (Ex: educational, marital, reproductive, etc.) c. Biography – totality of careers d. Career events – characterized by their number, frequency, sequence, and timing D. Lexis Diagrams 1. Lexis Diagrams – relates age, time, and individual or cohort a. Uses life lines of individuals in an age-time plane b. Cohort – a group of individuals experiencing the same event E. How to Think About Age 1. Age effects – e.g., all individuals age 2- are subject to biological and social pressures unique to this age regardless of when born 2. Period effects – e.g., individuals who were exposed to WWII, a famine, smoking habits, or 9/11 carry these experiences and their actuarial consequences with them 3. Cohort effects – e.g., certain events are unique to birth cohorts and they may collectively carry these actuarial consequences with them F. The Life Course: Stages 1. Growth Trajectories a. As humans evolved through time, the rates of growth changed too b. Humans have many more specific periods of development Human Growth Trajectory 2. Human Growth Trajectory a. Growth rate is very rapid at first (newborn to infancy) b. Rapid growth rate decreases velocity when childhood starts and again at about age 10 c. Growth increases during adolescence 3. Why Childhood: a. Extended period for brain growth b. Time for acquisition of technica
More Less

Related notes for HDE 117

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit