United States (313,014)
Philosophy (41)
PHI 1 (19)

Philosophy 1 Lecture Day 18.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of California - Davis
George Mattey

Philosophy 1 Lecture Day 18 • Hume criticizes the method of doubt that was advocated by Descartes • He characterizes it as recommending before all study and philosophy a universal doubt which must extend to the veracity of our faculties. • The doubt about our faculties could be overcome by: • But there is no such self -evident original principle. • Hume concludes that not only is Cartesian antecedent doubt impossible to attain but it would by its very nature be incurable if it could be attained. • It does have value if understood moderately as promoting strict standards of investigation. • Hume cautions against excessive (Pyrrhonian) skepticism on the grounds that it cannot be sustained in practical life and nothing useful comes from it. • He advocates instead a more moderate (academic) skepticism in which we restrain our reasoning to relations od ideas and to matters of fact that are supported by experience. Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason • The recollection of David Hume awoke him from his dogmatic slumber • Kant set out to place metaphysics on a new footing by subjecting the use of pure reason to a scathing critique. • Three fundamental interests of human beings: 1. Does God exist? 2. Am I free in my actions? 3. Will I survive my death? • 3 branches of metaphysics to answer the questions are: 1. Theology 2. Cosmology 3. Psychology • An acceptable metaphysical system must be based on the a priori use of reason • Theoretically, it can be known a priori what is possible and what is actual (though perhaps only by God and not by humans) • Kant and Hume agree that the principle of sufficient reason (PSR) can’t be justified a priori. • If that is correct then PSR is fundamental to any metaphysical system and if the PSR is fund
More Less

Related notes for PHI 1

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.