Lecture 11: Development
Aspects of child development
What happens during development in all species:
• Depends both on genetics and environment
o Genetics: e.g. Sex differentiation
• XX/XY with androgen insensitivity vs. XY.
o Environment: e.g. vision
• Dark "reared" cat, is functionally blind
• Vertically reared cat plays with vertically oriented rod
• horizontally reared cat plays with horizontally oriented rod
• Interaction with the environment is essential.
• Eleanor Gibson: Visual Cliff
o Children are innately afraid of heights
o Child does not cross the table
o Same with goats and sheeps, but rats do. They don’t care about the visual cliff.