Psychology
Course
PSC 41
Professor
Cross, Victoria
Semester
Spring

Description
PSC 41 – Lecture 2 Critical Thinking Critiquing claims about relationships between variables & steps in critical thinking - Critiquing claims of relationships between two variables - Critique (assess claims and make judgements on the basis of well supported evidence) o Access the accuracy (validity) of a claim - Articulate if a claim is unsupported o Demand appropriate additional information - To be critical of something is to appreciate the strengths of the claim and articulate the weaknesses (if I had more evidence, then I would be convinced) Steps in Critical Thinking 1. What am I being asked to believe or accept? (This variable is asking me to believe this variable) a. Almost every example is an association research making a causal claim (ex: I’m being asked to believe that there is a causal relationship but we use association as evidence) 2. What evidence is available to support the assertion? 3. What are alternative ways of interpreting the evidence? 4. What additional evidence would help to evaluate the alternatives (how would you design a perfect experiment)? 5. Is it true (have they met the threshold to convince a scientific thinker)? Example claim: People who eat Champion Cereal for breakfast will be more successful than people who eat Great Gruel for breakfast. Claim: Predictor variable cereal choice causes outcome variable success. There’s a relationship, but there’s no cause yet. - Evidence: group of people who ate Champion Cereal are more successful than that group of people who ate Great Gruel. o Invalid implication: eating causes success, anyone who eats will be more successful, have to eat it to be successful. - The authors are claiming that a predictor variable leads to an outcome variable Alternative ways of interpreting the evidence: - You must accept that the findings are true (must accept that there is a relationship, can’t dismiss the findings as false) - You must NOT accept the author’s explanation o They’re leading you to believe it’s a causal relationship between the cereal and their success - 3 variable? - could there relationship be reversed? (Choose cereal because successful) rd 3 variable: Were the groups equal beforehand? - Can you think of a specific and plausible way that the groups might have been different? Work backwards from the outcome variable. Hint: if the groups were not randomly assigned, then they are almost certainly different from each other
More Less

Related notes for PSC 41

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit