BIO SCI 38 Lecture 7: Bio 41 Lecture 7

37 views5 pages

Document Summary

Bipolar disorders differ from depression bc manic episodes. It"s really juicy and plump, good because i use it a lot (talking about her own brain) Altman self rating scale asks about bipolar tendencies. Schizophrenia changes in brain physiology (overall atrophy) Hyperintensities are little regions of cell death. Greatest amounts found in frontal and parietal lobe in bipolar patients. Decreases of functionality in anterior cingulate cortex. Amygdala helps you determine what others" emotions are. Right amygdala hyperactivity in bipolar patients in response to fear. Left amygdala has significantly lower activity in response to angry faces. Right parahippocampal gyrus (in limbic system, temporal lobe) detects sarcasm. Schizophrenics have a hard time detecting sarcasm. Bipolar is more active in this area. Amygdala activity increases in bipolar patients in response to sad and happy faces. Amygdala in bipolar disorder is less reactive to threat/fear. More responsive to sarcasm, happiness, and sadness. My classes, i don"t grade too hard, spread the word.