Class Notes (808,126)
United States (312,917)
Education (283)
EDUC 107 (49)
Schumacher (17)
Lecture 8

EDUC 107 Lecture 8: Socioemotional Development (04/26/17)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of California - Irvine
EDUC 107

LECTURE 8 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Socioemotional Development Discuss how parenting is gendered (in heteronormative situations, where you have a male and a female parent) and how gender differences influence a child’s social environment Socioemotional development in early childhood • Socialization – the process of developing cultural values and rules for behavior (Parson & Bales, 1956) o Teaching a child what’s expected, what’s “normal” • Self-conceptions – evaluative judgments about specific areas, such as sports, appearance, cognitive ability o When you say, “I’m really good at soccer,” “I’m pretty,” “I’m smart,” “I’m a good friend,” it’s looking at one specific area ▪ How you see yourself in the various areas of your life and your capabilities o May lend itself to your self-esteem • Self-esteem = self-worth o Your sense of self-worth – “I’m special” or “I’m worthless” o A lot of that comes from the quality of interactions you have with other people ▪ You get those messages from early childhood about your value, what you’re worth, oftentimes by the way people treat you Initiative vs. Guilt Erik Erickson • Children want to do things by themselves o They have that initiative • Measure success by adult opinion rather than peers o They’re more concerned about how the adults in their life feel about their capabilities than about their friends’ feedback o Establishing their sense of self through trying new things, and they get their feedback from the adults in their life • Family stories – help children form sense of self o It gives you information about yourself and your place in the world o (e.g.) Story of birth, story of getting lost at Disneyland Gender Awareness, Identity & Constancy • Parenting roles are often gendered, and the way children are treated is gendered • Gender identity – a person’s sense of self as male or female o Sex is who you are biologically o Gender is a social construct, something that is created and not fixed • Gender constancy – the idea that gender is unchangeable o Constant is all the time, unchanging • Behavioral differences o By age 3, play and interactions are different among boys and g
More Less

Related notes for EDUC 107

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.