EDUC 108 (9)
Hansen (8)
Lecture 4

EDUC 108 Lecture 4: Week 4 Emerging Adulthood EDU 108

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of California - Irvine
EDUC 108

Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood: A Cultural Approach (The Self): -changing self-conception, self-esteem, and emotional understanding Childhood description of self: -concrete terms, related to traits Adolescent description of self: -trait focused, more abstract, personality characteristics The Self in Adolescence: -the capacity for abstract thought means the distinction can be made between: -actual self - who I am -possible self - who I might become -ideal self - who I would like to be -feared self - who I dread becoming -formal operational abilities let us perceive multiple aspects of a situation or idea → self understanding becomes more complex in adolescence Clarifying the Difference: -self concept: -refers to the way a person views and evaluates her or himself -self-image/ self-perception -Self-esteem: -refers to a person’s overall sense of worth and well-being Development of Self-esteem: -declines in self-esteem from pre-adolescence to adolescence -on the other hand the degree of decline in self-esteem should not be exaggerated -impact of imaginary audience Baseline self-esteem: -stable, enduring sense of worth and well-being Barometric self-esteem: -fluctuating sense of worth and well-being as one responds to different thoughts, experiences, etc. through the course of the day Adolescent self-image: 8 domains: 1. Scholastic competence 2. Social acceptance 3. Athletic competence 4. Physical appearance 5. Job competence 6. Romantic appeal 7. Behavioral conduct 8. Close friendships -play into self-image/ concept that may affect our Barometric self-esteem -what matters most during adolescence: -physical appearance (not matching up to society’s standard of beauty) How might gender and culture impact this? Psychosocial Development: Erik Erikson→ identity crisis -we develop psychosocially, at each stage of development there lies a crisis (one of 2 paths) to be overcome Trust vs. Mistrust - will my needs be met? Crisis at adolescence: Identity versus Identity Confusion: -adolescent’s identity results from a mutual recognition between the young person and society -adolescent forges an identity, but at the same time society identifies the adolescent -key to resolution lies in social interactions -identity achievement: -establishing a
More Less

Related notes for EDUC 108

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.