EURO ST 10 Lecture 26: Euro 10 Studies Lecture Notes
Course CodeEURO ST 10
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Europe Studies 10
Course Code: 24000
2018 Fall Quarter
● Our Trajectory continued…
○ From instability to stability, uncertainty to certainty…
○ The case of philosophy?
○ The case of Italy and politics?
● What can you tell me about Italy?
○ ...about the role of the church (in politics)? (no separation of “earthly” and
○ ...about the political structures?
■ (city states; republics and principalities; at war with each other, also with
○ ...about dynastic families?
■ (medicis, borgias, etc.)
○ ...about new ideas in the air?
■ (humanism, arts)
● Luther on Rome?
○ Worse than Babylon, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc…
○ How did Luther’s theology respond to the kind of power exercised by the church?
○ (“Two Kingdoms Theory”; religion is about salvation, governments are about
ruling on earth)
● What are “ecclesiastical” states?
○ Chapter 11
○ On the one hand, they also have their “difficulties”; on the other, “sustained by
the ancient ordinances of religion...”
○ Machiavelli gives us a history lesson…
○ And some hints at how to maintain power…
○ (For example, play powers off each other)
○ (Pope Julius found new ways to raise money?!)
○ There’s a historical irony here around 1513-1527
○ Irony: he concludes with a reference to the power of Leo X!
○ Shortly after writing this, Luther writes to him and there is the schism in this
● A future irony?
○ Machiavelli clearly did not call for the separation of religious/spiritual and
○ But in the long run, did Luther’s radical separation of them lead to the spread of
■ How so?
○ The secular political realm was left on its own, isolated from “spiritual” concerns
■ Politics can become a pure power struggle…
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version