Is it immortal to eat a hamburger?
• Fact: Hamburgers are made of beef
• Beef is the muscle tissue from cows
• Cows are animals
• In order to turn a cow into a hamburger, that cow must be killed
• Eating beef is not the same as killing a cow
Is it wrong to eat meat?
• Eating meat may not be actually killing an animal, but an animal must be killed in
order to eat meat
• So a person might think that if there is something wrong with killing animals,
then there is something wrong with eating them
• So if we want to know whether it is wrong to eat meat, we have to ask: Is it wrong
to kill an animal?
• Animal rights theorist
• Argues not only that we should stop eating meat, but that we should stop doing
anything that harms animals including medical and cosmetic testing
• Why we should not kill animals: animals have rights just like humans do
o A right is a rule that says it is wrong to treat the owner of the right in
o One right that animals and humans both have is the right not to be killed
o Since animals have a right to life, they have a right not to be killed, so we
ought not to kill them
• But do animals really have rights?
o Humans and animals are very different
• Regan thinks that animals have rights because they have inherent value
• Inherent Value vs. Extrinsic Value o Extrinsic: worth comes from outside itself (ex. Money), but money is not
worth anything but a symbol, value comes from the way people treat it
o Inherent: worthy in itself. Valuable because of what it is in itself. (ex.
• Inherent value and rights
o If something has inherent value it should be treated with respect
o Because animals have i