PP&D 4 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Sharpening, National Day Laborer Organizing Network

111 views1 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 17 subversive cities: temporary workers who gather in corners, targets of laws banning their efforts to find work, exploited by opportunistic employers, undocumented so employers can cheat them into working for less. Puzzle: where does the fight for justice come from: puzzling turn of events, from criminalizing immigrants in the 1990s and 2000s, to including immigrants in the 2010s. Subversive justice: towards a theory: a six step process a. i. Step 1: cities and groupness: transforming stigma from individual shame to group pride a. i. 1. a. i. 2. High levels of conflict, no sense of identity, individuals were forced to combat every day for a job a. i. 3. a. i. 4. Creating a safe space: coming out and coming to terms with stigma, constructing bonds and identity among day laborers. As a group, people come together and remove the stigma a. i. 5. a. i. 6. a. ii. Step 2: cities as frontline spaces of exclusion a. ii. 1. English only laws, other municipal laws passed in the.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers