PSY BEH 113D Lecture Notes - Lecture 41: Stepfamily, Psych
DepartmentPsychology and Social Behavior
Course CodePSY BEH 113D
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Psych Behavior 113D
MWF 12-12:50 pm
Professor email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours Wednesday 1-1:50 pm
Final Exam: June 7th, 2019
● Social Relationships
■ What is the association between marriage and mortality, wellbein
● 9-15% reduction in mortality among older adults for married men
● Greater happiness and quality of life for people who are married.
■ Prevalence much higher than in 1960
■ About half of marriages are preceded by cohabitation
■ Higher divorce rates among those who cohabitate
■ Prevalence increasing for older adults too
● Alternative to marriage
● Living Apart Together
■ About what percentage of the population?
● 10% of adult population
■ Is the divorce rate changing?
● Declining, in part due to people getting married later
■ What is “divorce proneness”?
● Tendency to contemplate divorce when marriage troubles arise
● People who are divorce prone are more likely to have an affair
○ In general, how does parenthood affect relationship satisfaction?
■ Overall slight decline in satisfaction
○ What is a blended family?
■ One where the parents have children from a prior relationship by they
come together as one unit
○ What does the research say about blended families?
■ Not much research
■ Some studies suggest that there are greater problems between mothers and
stepchildren (vice fathers and step-children)
● Empty Nest
○ What is empty nest?
■ Period in a couple’s life when their children permanently leave home
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version