PSY BEH 113D Lecture Notes - Lecture 39: Elder Abuse, Job Satisfaction, Psych
DepartmentPsychology and Social Behavior
Course CodePSY BEH 113D
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Psych Behavior 113D
MWF 12-12:50 pm
Professor email: email@example.com
Office hours Wednesday 1-1:50 pm
Final Exam: June 7th, 2019
● Personality Disorders
○ Long-standing pattern of maladaptive inner experience and behavior
○ Why do symptoms seem to improve with age
■ Older adults better at coping
■ Measurement issues, not detected
■ Some symptoms (acting out) decline or are more treatable with age
● What is elder abuse? Why do we care about elder abuse in particular?
○ Actions taken against adults that inflict physical or psychological harm
○ As mental and physical capabilities decline with age, some can lack the capacity
to care for and advocate for themselves
■ Very similar to why we specifically care about child abuse
● Work & Retirement
○ Describe Holland’s Vocational Development Theory
■ Theory of career selection
■ Holds that occupational interests will align with personality
■ When there is congruence between the person and their (work)
environment they will be
● More productive
● What do intrinsic and extrinsic mean?
○ Intrinsic: central or specific to the thing itself
○ Extrinsic: related to, but external/peripheral to the thing itself
● Job satisfaction: intrinsic and extrinsic factors
■ Sense of identity, competence, autonomy
■ Salary, employment policies
● Job satisfaction
○ Who is more satisfied with their jobs: middle-aged or younger workers?
○ Why are middle-aged people more satisfied?
■ More realistic job expectations
■ Become experts (autonomy, mastery)
■ Higher earnings
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version