ENC 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Procrastination, Sherman Alexie

48 views5 pages
25 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course
1 ENC Day 1
Definitions:
Literacy: The ability to read, speak and comprehend a language in multiple understandings.
Writing: The process of forming words onto paper to represent an idea, thought, or belief.
Genre: The type of writing or language in terms of flow, plot, and common characteristics.
Composition: A collection of writings centered around an idea.
January 19, 2016
How do dimensions of your identity impact your pursuit of literacy and the ways your literacy has
been sponsored?
I feel as if my race has no direct influence of my pursuit of literacy, however, when tracing back
through my family and the years previous, white race has a better outlook on succeeding in
literacy than other races in the US. My ethnicity is multicultural and I feel that that gives me an
upper hand in learning new languages and helps me become more interested in them and my
pursuit of literacy in other forms. My gender being female I believe makes me more open to
poetry and softer kinds of literature because I don’t shy away from emotion. My age is at a
delicate stage where I am making cognitive bounds and learning very quickly so it also helps my
pursuit of literacy by having a brain that stays focused. My religion is very open and I pursue
that with any degree of normalcy along with the pursuit of literacy it comes with.
How does an individual’s identity, privilege and access to literacy sponsors or lack thereof, affect
their literacy development?
With more access to literacy sponsors, it can build or destroy one’s privilege. I feel as if some
people would tack it for granted that it is being handed to them, while others will realize what a
gift it is and use it to benefit their lives. With identity, many times it plays a huge role on what
kind of access you are exposed to. For instance, because Malcolm X and Sherman Alexie were
minority people in their learning communities, they were exposed to less literacy sponsors that
were positive influencing and even though they became successful in their literacy, it would
have been a much easier route to fall into “the norm” for their race and ethnicity because they
were viewed as meant to fail, and inferior.
January 26, 2016
Look up definitions to help explain what “literacy practices” are.
Practice: habitual or customary performance; operation:
Conceptualizations: to form into a concept; make a concept of.
Ideological: speculative; visionary.
Literacy Practices: A repeated performance where reading and/or writing is formed into a
concept that include literacy events.
January 28, 2016
Identity as a reader or writer:
Reader: attentive, focused on details, open-minded, and optimistic
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
1 ENC Day 1
Writer: struggling, rule-follower, short, structured, defiant, nonconforming
February 2, 2016
Two home-based literacy practices: Being Christian and attending Sunday School and reading
for assignments in the church. Another would be gymnastics because I would need to learn
what new skills were and keep refreshed on the incoming changes to AAU ruling and how it
effected me as a competitor.
February 9, 2016
1. What parts of my literacy narrative are you proud of?
-The relevance of my pictures that I have to support my anecdotes and stories and the basis
of my main ideas and concepts.
2. What part am I least proud of?
-The organizational support and connection of my paragraphs.
3. Specific feedback I want or don’t?
-Don’t worry about my audio, I am completely redoing it, I simply did it for turning in and
getting credit this time around. Do comment on how I could better organize my paragraphs
and my structural support.
4. What parts am I confused about?
-None that I believe, I just haven’t done the part of timing my slides yet.
February 11, 2016
Writing: Words and/ or symbols, expressed verbally, visually, or written
Literacy: The concept encompassing reading and/or writing helping to develop one’s
understanding of an idea or thought whether that be their own or someone else’s.
Genre: mode of assignment or literacy that is being done, including tools and opportunities
provided.
Composition: Holistic body of ideas and concepts surrounding types of literacy.
February 23, 2016
My teachers have never allowed me to use Wikipedia as a reliable source in any of my writings
or research. They believed that since it is open to all, that the information is not always correct
and factual. In believing that, I think it has limited the information I already know about some
ideas because Wikipedia is always being updated, unlike a lot of other informative sites. I have
often read Wikipedia for concepts and ideas I was curious about and almost always have I
found other cites to back up the information I found from Wikipedia, so I do disagree with the
negative connotation educators and others seem to place on Wikipedia’s site.
Cons:
No formal review process
No accredited authors or citations
New articles are not reliable
Pros:
Only differs from Encyclopaedia Brittanica by one error
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.