Spring 2017

Department
Physical Sciences
Course Code
PSC 1121
Professor
Thomas Brueckner
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Physical Science
From recent reading in a traffic safety course
If speeding, stopping distance is greater
If you double your speed, distance required for braking will be four times longer
You’re more likely to skid or roll over in a turn.
Force of impact in collision is much greater.
By increasing speed by 10 mph to 35 mph, force of impact doubles
Universe not random
1. Galileo convinced that “grand book” of Nature was written in mathematical language
2. His program of study, the physical sciences,
a. Speaks in this language
b. As well as in English, Italian, etc.
c. Requires observation and measurements
d. And we are students in Galileo’s school!
Velocity, position, and distance
Discussed how to calculate a distance
From x-coordinates of positions A and B
v = x/t
x = xb xa
t = tb ta
Discussed how to calculate elapsed time
From clock readings at positions A and B
Used speed definition to get a speed
Also tried it on HW 1!
Let’s double-check HW 1 #3
Follow up about average velocity and instantaneous velocity
1. Average is based on
a. A finite number of position and time measurements
b. i.e., two “snapshots” in HW 1 example
2. But you don’t necessarily know what the guy did between t = 0.00s and t = 0.74s
a. He could’ve been same speed all the way,
b. Or could’ve taken a break, then sped back up
3. Same as tortoise and hare fable (Ch. 1-11)!
4. And the Turkey Lake Service Plaza example (p. 11, Ch. 1-10)
Avg. and Instantaneous Velocity
5. The tortoise and hare fable based on two dynamical ideas:
a. Once the tortoise gets going, his speed at any instant of time is same as what
will eventually be called his avg. speed;
b. The hare’s velocity state changes several times during his race
6. In terms of instantaneous speeds, v(t), pronounced “v of t”
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Physical Science 1.17.17 From recent reading in a traffic safety course If speeding, stopping distance is greater If you double your speed, distance required for braking will be four times longer You’re more likely to skid or roll over in a turn. Force of impact in collision is much greater. By increasing speed by 10 mph to 35 mph, force of impact doubles Universe not random 1. Galileo convinced that “grand book” of Nature was written in mathematical language 2. His program of study, the physical sciences, a. Speaks in this language b. As well as in English, Italian, etc. c. Requires observation and measurements d. And we are students in Galileo’s school! Velocity, position, and distance Discussed how to calculate a distance From x-coordinates of positions A and B v = x/t x = x –bx a t = t b t a Discussed how to calculate elapsed time From clock readings at positions A and B Used speed definition to get a speed Also tried it on HW 1! Let’s double-check HW 1 #3 Follow up about average velocity and instantaneous velocity 1. Average is based on a. A finite number of position and time measurements b. i.e., two “snapshots” in HW 1 example 2. But you don’t necessarily know what the guy did between t = 0.00s and t = 0.74s a. He could’ve been same speed all the way, b. Or could’ve taken a break, then sped back up 3. Same as tortoise and hare fable (Ch. 1-11)! 4. And the Turkey Lake Service Plaza example (p. 11, Ch. 1-10) Avg. and Instantaneous Velocity 5. The tortoise and hare fable based on two dynamical ideas: a. Once the tortoise gets going, his speed at any instant of time is same as what will eventually be called his avg. speed; b. The hare’s velocity state changes several times during his race 6. In terms of instantaneous speeds, v(t), pronounced “v of t”1 13 M 7. Shade in the rectangle between the graph and the +1 m/sec time axis, from 0.0 s out to 2.5 s 1 2.5 sec 2.5 sec -1 8. Graph's straight line represents object's velocity nicely, but what does the enclosed rectangle V represent? 1 13 M 7. Shade in the rectangle between the graph and the +1 m/sec time axis, from 0.0 s out to 2.5 s 1 2.5 sec 2.5 sec -1 8. Graph's straight line represents object's velocity nicely, but what does the enclosed rectangle V represent? a. v(t) = constant for the tortoise, but b. v(t) = all over the place for the hare! The tortoise’s graph is nearly rectangular! Let’s make an abstract graph of constant v
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit