-huge contributor to cultural anthropology
-ideas taken up in pop. culture
-challenged basic assumptions about gender, equality, and adolescence
S. Ann Dunham
-everyday economics practices amongst women
-micro credit programs to spur entrepreneurship
-What can I know?
-What should I do?
-What may I hope for?
-What is a human being?
-1798 book on anthropology
• anthropos (Gk.):"human," "humanity"
• logia (Gk.): "study of"
• the study of the shared and diverse ways we are and become human (aka, our
• explores influence of biological, historical, linguistic, & cultural heritages on
human ways of being
-certain processes, we didn't just show up
-asks fundamental questions
A science of human existence?
-experience the world
Alfred Kroeber (1876-1960)
-father of American anthropology
"Anthropology is the most humanistic of the sciences and the most scientific of
• What it is…
• What it means… • What it feels like…
…to be human
• is a holistic discipline that studies the human condition in all of its diversity
across time and space
• Biological Anthropology - 7
how it is humans became the kind of beings they are - evolution
• Archaeological Anthropology - 8
past human civilizations - discoverable materials
• Linguistic Anthropology - 33
how language ties up to everyday practices - evolution of language