Premium

3 Pages

Department
Astronomy
Course Code
ASTR 3
Professor
Steven Furlanetto

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 20: Understanding stars part 03 HR diagram Main sequence: stars lives while they are fusing hydrogen and helium. But what happens after they run out of fuels? They move towards red giants. Hydrostatic equilibrium: need high temperature to support the pressure. We need constant energy to keep the star hot, through fusion. Use up the hydrogen: no fusion, no pressure to balance gravity, start shrinking. The center is a core thats helium ash. It shrinks, and core is smaller. As the core gets smaller, it heats up again due to compression. The material around the core is also heating up, so that region is now hot enough to fuse hydrogen into helium: called shell burning. As it gets hotter, the shell gets hotter and more luminous. Its fusing so rapidly that its producing more pressure than needed to balance the stars gravity, so it becomes a giant. The surface gets cooler from such amount of shrinking, so it turns red. Why does the shell still have hydrogen? Only the central core is hot enough to undergo fusion when its still in the main sequence. The inner layer dont mix much with the core! HR diagram: move to the right. More mass, more temperature, and more luminous. P.S.: in expansion, the surface of the Sun feels less gravity from the center, thus creating the wind, driving materials to escape. Loss of some mass at this point. Helium fusion: to settle down and use helium as fuel; very hard. Beryllium8 isnt stable, and it falls apart again. In it brief span, we need another helium to turn it into a carbon12, at basically the same time. We need 100 Million K for this to happen. It happens after a tip of the red giant branch to fuse helium into carbon.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit