EE BIOL 109 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Tide, Ocean Current, Trade Winds

64 views3 pages

Document Summary

Transfer of energy decreases with depth: when surface layer of water is accelerated by wind, layers beneath it slowly accelerate as well. Si(cid:374)(cid:272)e the earth is (cid:373)o(cid:448)i(cid:374)g a(cid:272)ross the spi(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g earth"s surfa(cid:272)e, it is affe(cid:272)ted. Eckman transport - net water movement perpendicular to the wind: wind moving south along ca, surface water will move away from shore. Downwelling downward transport of surface waters to depth. Trade winds: move west, water pushed north. Moves surfboard down face of wave -> forward movement of surfer as energy moves through wave: wave pushes up due to energy, gravity pushes board down -> forward movement tracking ocean circulation. Eulerian measure fluid movement around fixed point. Wavelength (btwn two crests), height crest to trough), wave period (time needed to move one crest to another) Wind generated waves = progressive waves: due to local wind energy, choppy, disorganized, white caps, swell disorganized waves interact to form organized series of waves over time/distance i. e. hot tub.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers