PSYCH 10 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Object Permanence, Longitudinal Study, Habituation

123 views3 pages
3 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
3/7/18
- Stereotypes can be:
o Inaccurate
Ex: estimating if Memphis is closer to Pierre then Toronto
Generally, people overestimate distances between countries
o Overused
Ex: men generally can do more pull ups than women, only ON AVERAGE
Crossing category boundaries makes things seem more different, and we underestimate
variability within categories
o Self perpetuation
Afia Aeia ad Euopea Aeia’s test pefoae is affeted if the hae to
list their race before taking the test
o Stubborn
If people have generally bad feeling about black people, they will say Obama is okay
because he is part of a sub-group that has the stereotype
o Automatic
Implicit Association Test: learning associations between different things
- Attribution theory: we tend to give causal eplaatios fo people’s ehaio
o Dispositional
o Situational
- Fundamental attribution error: tendency to overestimate dispositional influences and underestimate
situatioal ifluees o soeoe else’s ehaio
o We make this error even when we are given the correct facts
o We ted to assue it’s o the, thei fault
- Actor-observer effect: he e take a had test, e do’t assue it’s ou fault e sa it’s the teahe’s
fault
- Culture matters: stereotypical American is more unlikely to take fault of something
Developmental Psychology
- Development is continuous
- The study of continuity and change across the life span, not just infants and children
- Nature and nurture
- Different perspectives: cognitive, social, emotional, moral
- Periods of development: prenatal, infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood
- Development starts at conception
o Zygote embryo fetus
o Teatoges: athig that a ipai the eo o fetus’ deelopet
Ex: drugs, alcohol, bacteria, viruses, and chemicals
Fetal alcohol syndrome
o Ex:
“ukig speed ieases if othe’s voice is heard
Inclination towards native language
The Cat in the Hat study estimated that they had hear 5 hours worth of Cat in the Hat
when they were in the womb, and when they were born they sucked faster when they
heard the Cat in the Hat being read to them
- Developmental milestones (time may be different): happens without prompting, happens naturally
- Infant challenge
o The do’t speak
o The a’t follo istutios
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

If people have generally bad feeling about black people, they will say obama is okay because he is part of a sub-group that has the stereotype: automatic. Implicit association test: learning associations between different things. Attribution theory: we tend to give causal e(cid:454)pla(cid:374)atio(cid:374)s fo(cid:396) people"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396: dispositional, situational. Fundamental attribution error: tendency to overestimate dispositional influences and underestimate situatio(cid:374)al i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)es o(cid:374) so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e else"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396: we make this error even when we are given the correct facts, we te(cid:374)d to assu(cid:373)e it"s o(cid:374) the(cid:373), thei(cid:396) fault. Actor-observer effect: (cid:449)he(cid:374) (cid:449)e take a ha(cid:396)d test, (cid:449)e do(cid:374)"t assu(cid:373)e it"s ou(cid:396) fault (cid:449)e sa(cid:455) it"s the tea(cid:272)he(cid:396)"s fault. Culture matters: stereotypical american is more unlikely to take fault of something. The study of continuity and change across the life span, not just infants and children. Periods of development: prenatal, infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers