THEATER 10 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: National American Woman Suffrage Association, Elizabeth Robins, Overcoat
Course CodeTHEATER 10
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Henry Gibson (A Dolls House)
• Discovers possibility of life as housewife is too narrow and leaves husband/children's (v
o Inspired Elizabeth
Votes for Women
• Lots of smaller arguments that are also being made in the play.
What are some of the other issues that Elizabeth Robins bring up other than women voting?
• Trials (trial by peer of women)
• Marriage as only route to security for women
Persuasion methods used by different characters in the play?
• Private person to person discussions
• Empathy (emotional stories appealing to others)
• Political rally speeches
• Blackmail ? (way in which Levering changes mind of Stoner as blackmail)
• Groups of friends and families putting together small/amateur plays @ home.
o Lots of manuals/articles on how to put on private theatricals (the 2 other readings
• Funny while taking on political issues
• Wife becomes emancipated where husband does all the cooking/cleaning.
• Tries to suggest women's liberation is silly because women is still scared of mice
o Reveals way men will always be 'superior'
Very New Women
• 2 new women
• Puts forward scene where man is shocked when his fiancée is pro women's right, just like
National American Women Suffrage Association --> Pageant in DC (day before inauguration of
• Many scenes & participants (Inez Mollohan lead parade)
o Acting out importance of women's rights
• 5000 women's marched in pageant but 100,000 people were watching this
pageant and interfered.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version