GEOG 1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Francis Scott Key, Blaise Pascal, Denis Diderot

47 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The renaissance, age of enlightenment,& cities of the new world. Shift from gothic back to roman style. Renaissance urban advancements: cartography: mapmaking, result: better urban-planning, advancements in medicine and surgery, saw the first surgery b. Influenced by the black death: the modern clock (circa 1500, belfry, munich or nuremberg, star-shaped defenses, why? b, star-shaped were more easily defensible, protected. Invention of gunpowder made circular and rectangular forts obsolete. Earthquake followed by tsunami followed by fire. London 1666: 80% of city is destroyed. Most homes were made of wood, leaving them very vulnerable: making cities healthier. How: building homes out of brick i. Christopher wren: tasked with rebuilding london after the fire, st. paul"s cathedral b. Helps minimize the disease: making streets wider i. ii. Helps minimize the spread of fires if things are more spread out: public transportation, blaise pascal i. ii. iii. Developed first public transportation system, for paris, france. First urban planner of dc was european (french)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers