GEOG 1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Child Labour, Sulfur, Former State Routes In Pennsylvania

36 views5 pages
10 Apr 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Urban advancements cont: gas/electric light, thomas edison i. 1879: the lightbulb: electric light i. ii. 1883: quincy, il: first to have electric lights. These concepts are still part of our society. Economic growth: factories: 24/7, electric lights allowed factories to operate 24/7, more time = more productivity, product output, english steel doubled (1830-1854, modern transportation, 1815-1850: 6,000 miles of rail were laid in u. k. Source of energy, also a source of transportation. Trying to develop city as fast as possible, no concerns for environmental effects. Maintained as the most used source until oil surpassed it. Was coal bad: expensive to transport. Impacts on health: areas that burn coal have a higher rate/risk of asthma and emphysema, low bone density, vitamin d deficiency, monopoly, franklin gowen i. ii. iii. Bought up more and more shares of different railroad industry. Nearly owned the entirety of the reading railroad (also a card in. 25% of deaths in coal towns were linked to coal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers