PHIL 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Compatibilism, Incompatibilism, Thesis Statement

50 views4 pages
4 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Freedom of action and universal determinism are not compatible with one. We discussed : universal determinism : every material event has a prior sufficient material condition. Not the same concept as freedom of the will) (121) (123) freedom of action: another (this is . X freely performs action a if and only if x performs. In other words, i did (x) but i could have done otherwise--but this is because i could have done otherwise in different circumstances. Notice: hume"s compatibilism differs from libertarianism in that you could have chosen to do otherwise . Different circumstances. this bit keeps it compatible with determinism--things are still determined, but, if the way things were determined were different, you would have chosen otherwise. Persons: necessary condition for being a person is exercsising and/or using your freedom of will to sculpt your life. Having the inability or lack of interest in using your freedom of will to sculpt your life.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers