What Sound Does A Rooster Make?
• Different cultures have different ways to describe sounds for humans even
though the sound doesn’t vary across cultures
• We classify the same color in different ways because of:
◦ Every day life
What Is Culture?
• Culture is the learned behaviors and symbols that allow people to live in groups
◦ A cognitive or material map/guide for interacting with the world (ex: color
• It’s a way of life of a particular human society
◦ Ex: language, food, customs, beliefs, rituals
◦ BUT this aspect is often oversimplified, used to justify inequality.
▪ “That’s just the way they are, it’s their culture”
• It’s also the means by which people adapt to their environment
◦ It’s a product of chance, history, economy, environment, and a specific
configuration of these factors at different points in time (color and gender)
• The Seven Characteristics Of Culture:
◦ Not the same as nature
▪ All humans must complete four essential functions in order to
survive. It seems logical that we would all do these things