Anthropology
Course
ANTH 1
Professor
Susanna Lewis
Semester
Fall

Description
1. What is the rationale behind, and the perceived benefits of, arranged marriages in India? a. Aset standard for marriages to let you know that your partner is faithful to marital beliefs and the family’s culture, and that they are faithful to their husband and respectful to the family and religion. No emotional investments are involved; they believe that love is not required b. Many of the parent’s relatives take care of the children instead of the parents themselves, which takes off a lot of stress. c. Alot of stress taken out of deciding who to marry, as this is decided by parents, unlike inAmerica, where a lot of emotional stress is often involved in this decision. 2. Why do many families in Tibet practice fraternal polyandry? a. They didn’t want to split up their land and keep it among the boundaries of their own family. Frat poly does this by keeping all the brothers together with just one wife so that there is only one set of heirs per generation. It also keeps population levels under culture. b. It was about economic security and social prestige. 3. Kinship Systems: a. Eskimo System i. Associated with bilateral descent. ii. Emphasizes the nuclear family by using separate terms (mother, father, sister, brother) that are not used outside the family. b. Hawaiian System i. Uses a single term of al relatives of the same sex and generation 1. Ex:Aperson’s father, father’s brother, and mother’s brother are all referred to as faher. 2. In EGO’s generation, the only distinction is based on sex – male cousins are as brothers, female cousins as sisters. ii. Nuclear family members are roughly equivalent to more distant kin. c. Omaha System i. Emphasizes patrilineal decent ii. Emphasizes single term relationship with only father’s side. iii. EGO’s father and father’s brother are called by the same term, and EGO’S mother and mother’s sister are called by the same term. iv. On the mother’s side of the family, there is a merging of relations. 1. This does not happen on EGO’s father’s side of the family. d. Crow System i. Concentrates on matrilineal descent ii. Mirror image of Omaha system: 1. The father’s side of the family merges generations iii. On EGO’s mother’s side of the family, which is important descent group, generation distinctions are recognized. e. Sudanese System i. Most descriptive system, makes the largest number of terminological distinctions. ii. Separate terms are used for practically every relative. 4. Family/Kin a. provide support network b. often provide love c. provide resources d. meet material and psychological needs e. give sense of identity and connection f. Many people relate jobs with an identity of a person, this also applies to families. 5. Kinship does matter a lot across the world (some more than o
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 1

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit