Lecture 2 Ohm's Law

2 Pages

Department
Biology/Animal Physiol & Neurosc
Course Code
BIPN 100
Professor
Laurie Smith

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
10/2/13 Lecture 2  Ohm’s law: specific expression of general force flux relationship  Δ e = Δ I x R  In electricity, the charge carriers are electrons  In physiology the charge carriers are ions  e = V  it is v because electrical potential gradients are measured in volts  I =V/R ion ion  Something moves IFF there is a force and a pathway, otherwise there will be no movement. If either is lacking, there will be no movement  There will be a current if there is a driving force and a pathway  ion= V x g ion  g = conductance  g=i/R ion  it is the inverse of resistance  conductance is description of pathway  voltage is almost equal to the driving force  There is an electrical potential difference across the membrane of EVERY cell that is alive, due to the movement of ions across the membrane. This is the resting potential.  Including neurons, liver cells, muscle fibers, plant cells, bacteria, etc.  Membrane potential (V ) m  You measure membrane potential by taking an electrode and hooking it up to an amplifier, and you compare the electrical field inside the membrane vs. the outside  For a lot of neurons, the typical range is -65 mV  Resting membrane potential (V ) rest  Diffusion: not really a force, happens naturally, but it acts like a force  We don’t know what the pathways are, there could be pathways that permit the movement of some things and no other things  We haven’t really paid attention to the physical charge of the ions because the charge nature of the ions means that when they move they can set up
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit