BIEB 166 Lecture 13 (WI13)

4 Pages

Department
Biol/Ecology, Behavior, & Evol
Course Code
BIEB 166
Professor
James Nieh

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 13 What is communication? 1. Sender signal --> receiver response Multiple species of the cleaner wrasse - Elongated shape - Signal tells the fish that they can come and be cleaned Fly - Warning signal: resembles a bee - Color of the flower: memorable to the pollinators ○ Fly is learning to associate the flower with sugar award - Plant get pollinated, the fly gets nectar Owls and mouse - Mouse moving around scratching the bark - It is not sending a signal to the owl 2. Actors use specially designed signals to modify the behavior of reactors - Selected by natural selection to be advantageous to the sender Snapping turtle's lure - Specially modified signal - Tongue looks like a worm, benefits the snapping turtle - Manipulation is a valid form of communication ○ All communication is manipulation Tungara frogs and bat predators - Frogs are able to produce low and high frequencies ○ Females prefer male calls with high frequencies (and so do the bats) - Males want to reproduce, the females want to find the male that is most fit - Risky acoustic behavior - The sender wants - The receiver wants - The unintended observers of the signal want 3. Sender signals receiver response to mutual advantage, on average (Norm Carlin) - Good for describing cooperative communication - The supernormal cuckoo chicks is not a way of communication ○ Not advantageous to the host 4. Useful to consider evolution of signals and receivers separately - Evolution of signal: acts upon senders - Evolution of information: acts upon receivers - Look at wide variety of phenomenon of communication - Consider both cooperative and manipulative communication and what happens when communication is shaped by unintended receivers - Epiphenomenon: result of interaction of sender and receiver and their goals Frog (continued) - Male frog wants to mate with females - Female frogs want to mate with males with good fitness ○ When the frogs can avoid being eaten by bats even they are in risky conditions - Overall communication system over-rises the senders and the receivers want Ritualization - The process by which a functional behavior pattern or structure is transformed into a communication signal ○ Increasing conspicuousness ○ Increasing stereotypy ○ Increasing separation from its original function Ghost crab 1. Males with big white claws - Standing next to their burrows waving their claws - Build sand cones to attract females (very conspicuous) - Bigger crab, bigger pile of sand 2. Females - Pick the strongest male (biggest claw) - Females see the sand cones that built by the males before seeing the male claws - They would prefer the tallest cone + nicest (most symmetric) 3. Evolution - Males start to build larger sand piles, to get more attention to females (visualizing the signal) - Females tends to mate with stronger and better males (receiving the visual signal sent by the females) - Not sure if supernormally attracted Bower birds 1. Males have very special bower - Original function of the bower: as a nest - Showing its fitness by building the bower ○ Large ○ Symmetric - True quality of the male ○ Survived male ○ Can focus on collecting largely useless objects (rare objects in the environment) ○ Travel great distances ○ Good vision ○ Stealing from other birds (fight) Urination signals - Territorial landmark - Separated from the original function of urination - More stereotyped Ant trail pheromones - Odor trails as ritualization - Depositing the pheromone, sufficient for the ant to follow - The presence of the leade
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit