BILD 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Fluid Mosaic Model, Cell Membrane, Glucose Transporter

32 views3 pages

Document Summary

Plasma membrane (people call it a fluid mosaic model) a. They aren"t just normal proteins; some have sugars attached to it. They do(cid:374)"t have to (cid:271)e i(cid:374)side the (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ra(cid:374)e a(cid:374)d (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:271)e atta(cid:272)hed o(cid:374) either side iii. Above the plasma membrane is the extra-cellular matrix b. Has the ability to move fluidly (very important) i. Membranes need the right amount of mobility so proteins can react appropriately. Whether the tails are saturated or unsaturated a) b) Unsaturated tails don"t pack together and therefore will be more fluid. The amount of cholesterol (plays a very important rule in fluidity) a) b) Cholesterol helps membranes resist too much change in fluidity when the temperature change. Interferes with some of the movement at moderate temperature i) ii) Colder it gets, membrane tries to freeze up, but the cholesterol will hinder solidification. Bacteria can regulate the amount of saturated tails vs. unsaturated tails when the temperature changes c.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers