BILD 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Emma Darwin, Second Voyage Of Hms Beagle, Andes

16 views2 pages
26 Oct 2018
School
Course

Document Summary

Biogeography: patterns of where living things occur (abbreviate in notes as biog) Dar(cid:449)i(cid:374)"s fi(cid:374)di(cid:374)gs: biog: in argentina, found sloths and armadillos that shared geography, leading to similarity across time, conclusion: species similar because they are related. Inferences: extinction occurs: question: could these extinct organisms give rise to new living species, biog: in chile, at the andes mountains, found fossil marine shells in sedimentary rock at. At the ti(cid:373)e, idea that earth does(cid:374)"t (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ge physi(cid:272)ally. Witnessed volcanic eruption and massive earthquake that raised portions of the coastal shelf by eight feet. If the earth can change slowly, maybe life can too. Intermediate shell common for intermediate vegetation: biog: different environments produce different body shapes. Each shape well- matched to its environment: conclusion: different selection pressures on each island produces different local adaptations via natural selection. Gives diversity: su(cid:373)(cid:373)ary of dar(cid:449)i(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)fere(cid:374)(cid:272)es (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) beagle (cid:448)oyage, all species are related.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers