CGS 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Queer Theory, Cathy J. Cohen, Imagined Geographies

43 views5 pages

Document Summary

Cgs 105 lecture 10 sexuality, democracy, and neoliberalism. Puar reading: homonationalism: government aligning with lgbt issues in order to create xenophobia, orientalism: imitation/depiction of middle eastern, south asian, and east asian cultures. Immigration restrictions and demonization of migrants: polygamy. Neoliberalism: market central, society shaped by free market, market deregulated and privatized, what works in private sector works in the public sector, public sector should subsidize private sector. Single mothers on welfare, especially woc, are not heteronormative, regardless of sexual orientation. I am visible now because of [company: what i do in the privacy of my own home is my business, wants gay access to military and marriage. Modern sexed/raced subjects: multiculturalism a biopolitical technology. Tate pro(cid:448)es it is (cid:858)prote(cid:272)ti(cid:374)g(cid:859) (cid:373)ulti(cid:272)ultural a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a(cid:374)s (cid:449)ho are assi(cid:373)ila(cid:271)le fro(cid:373) the risk a(cid:374)d terror of those who are not assimilable. Discourses of risk: biopolitics takes form of managing risk and security, biopolitics: managing life through exposure to risk, environmental racism, going to run-down schools.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers