4/25/17 lecture notes (7) Ch 22 Solubility Ch 23 Chemical
Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:31 AM
Formationof a complex ion will increase solubility of a solid.
- Basic hydroxides
○ Dissolve in water to produce basic solution
▪ NaOH. Ba(OH)2
▪ If not soluble in water they dissolve in acid.
- Amphoteric hydroxides
○ Acts as an acidic oxide/hydroxide
○ Acts as a basic oxide/hydroxide
- Acidic oxides
○ Dissolve in water to form acidic solutions
○ Dissolve in basic solution if not water Amphoteric hydroxides you should know:
What pH will Zinc hydroxide be the least soluble?
a) pH = 2
Answer: 7. Amphoteric means it's soluble in both acid and base so neutral would be least soluble. Calculate the solubility of Al(OH)3 (s) at pH=2, pH=7, and pH=12. Ksp= 1.3*10^-33.Kf= 40 Chemical thermodynamics:the second and third laws
Which of the following have something in common?
I) Ice melts at room temperature
II) Iron exposed to moist air rusts
III) Perfume diffuses from one side of a room to another
IV) Hot pan cools down in a cool room
a) They don’t have anything in common
b) I and II
c) I and IV
d) I and III and IV
e) They all have som