Cognitive Science
Course
COGS 1
Professor
Mary Boyle
Semester
Winter

Description
Wednesday, January 25. 2017 Guest Speaker: Lera Boroditsky ➢ Which cognitive faculty would you most hate to lose? ○ we rarely think about losing language → it’s such an integral part of us How Languages We Speak Shape The Way We Think ➢ There are about 7,000 languages in the world (losing one every one to two weeks) ➢ “Trump read Chomsky’s latest book.” ○ Did this happen in the past? ○ Was the reader male or female? ○ Was the action completed? ○ Did you witness this with your own eyes? ➢ Arguments: ○ We all notice/pay attention/encode the same thing → we just choose to highlight certain points ○ We talk differently → We think differently How Do The Languages We Speak Shape The Ways We Think? 1. Do people who speak different languages think differently? 2. Does learning new languages shape the way you think? 3. Do polyglots think differently when speaking different languages? 4. Are some thoughts unthinkable without language? 5. What is basic and how do we get to be so smart? “To have a second language is to have a second soul.” --Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor “A man who knows four languages is worth four men” --Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor “I speak French to my ambassadors, English to my accountant, Italian to my mistress, latin to me God, and German to my horse.” --Frederick the Great “I hate relativism more than I hate anything else.” --Jerry Fodor How Do The Languages We Speak Shape The Way We Think? 1. Deep/early effects? a. ie. COLOR → Russians differentiate between light and dark blue → are able to distinguish the colors faster 2. Broad/Pervasive Effects? a. ie. grammatical gender → German vs. Spanish (Germans see the sun as a female and the moon as a male, the opposite is of Spanish) b. Gender is a largely arbitrary category c. The pervasiveness of gender i. Different phonology ii. Different number words iii. Different adjective endings iv. Different pronouns and possessives v. Different verb endings d. Do people really take these genders as meaningful? i. Personify Days of the Week 1. Russian - Monday → Male, Tuesday → Woman ii. Give voices to animated characters 1. Ask kids - shows that we start gendering things early on iii. Describe Objects 1. ie. a bridge: strong, powerful vs. beautiful, elegant iv. Personify abstract entities in art 1. ie. Gender of times of the day → depends on grammatical gender e. “Me Talk Pretty” - David Sedaris 3. Big differences? a. ie. TIME → the most common/popular word in the English Language b. How do we think about time? i. It depends on how we think about Space (N, S, E, W) ii. Time forms the very fabric of our experience and yet we can’t see, smell, or touch time c. Kuuk Thaayorre i. Use N, S, E,
More Less

Related notes for COGS 1

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit