Electrical & Computer Engineer
Course
ECE 15
Professor
Alon Orlitsky
Semester
Fall

Description
6. Mathematical Algorithms Cont. f. Factoring i. A prime factorization is an expression of an integer as a product of primes ii. Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic: Every integer greater than 1 has a unique prime factorization – it can always be written in one and only one way as a product of prime numbers. 1. factor.c g. Greatest Common Divisor i. The GCD of two integers “m” and “n” denoted gcd(m,n) is the largest integer able to be divided into both. ii. Euclidian Algorithm a. Efficiently computes VERY large numbers 2. Suppose m>n. If n divides m, then clearly gcd(m,n) = n. Otherwise, let d be any divisor of both m and n. a. Then, d also divides the difference of m and n, and all multiples of m and n. 3. Thus, if d divides both m and n, then it also divides m-n, m-2n, m- 3n, … up to m%n. Hence: a. gcd(m,n) = gcd(m, m%n) on the condition that m>n and n divides into m. 4. Euclid.c 7. Structure of C f. A program is a sequence of valid characters g. The compiler first executes all compiler directives (lines beginning with #) then splits the sequence of characters into whitespace and tokens. i. Six type of tokens: 1. Keywords a. Words with a prescribed meaning. Cannot be redefined (e.g. functions) 2. Identifiers a. Names of variables or functions, etc… b. They cannot begin with a digit, and can be any length, but the program will read only the first 31 characters. 3. Operators and Punctuations a. Perform operations, and separate words 4. Programming Errors (Bugs) a. With syntax (compiler) errors, the program won’t compile. They usually consist of typos, mis-punctuations, and invalid keywords. b. With run-time errors, the program compiles successfully but crashes when executed (e.g. division by 0, or infinite loops). c. With logic errors, the program runs, but produces the wrong desired output h. Four Steps of Software Writing i. Analyze: Define input and desired output ii. Design: Decide on data structures and algorithm iii. Implement: Code using chosen language iv. Debug and debug again and again and so forth and again and etc and again. 8. More Macros (#define) f. Tells compiler to represent a term with a constant. i. Done during pre-compiling, before anything else. ii. A macro is a constant, not a variable, and cannot change during the runtime of the program. g. When to use Macros vs Constant i. Macros simplify changes across the program where the macro exists, you only need to change the macro value once. ii. Clarifies program: the term “CLASSSIZE” is clearer than the constant “100” iii. Eliminates retyping long constants h. When to use Macro vs Variables i. Faster access (no need to check variable change) ii. Classifies this as a constant that does not change. i. Macros can be used to represent: i. integers ii. strings iii. operators iv. expressions j. Recursive Macros i. Macros can use other macros: 1. #define TWO_PI 2*3.14159 is the same as a. #define PI 3.14159 #define TWO_PI 2*PI ii. square1.c k. Macros can be defined in terms of arguments or variables. i. square2.c ii. square3.c iii. When including variables in a
More Less

Related notes for ECE 15

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit