HILA 132 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Carlos Salinas De Gortari, Carlos Slim, Social Democracy

10 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Lecture 12: oil boom and transition to neoliberalism. The 1980s in mexico was a crucial decade that made contemporary mexico: fundamental changes to economy and the role of government in the economy. Isi (cid:449)as the reaso(cid:374) (cid:271)ehi(cid:374)d me(cid:454)i(cid:272)o"s e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) (cid:373)ira(cid:272)le: helped create an urban, educated middle class, helped create an industrial base. General lack of domestic demand was a result of low, stagnant wages: economic inequality rose. Pri had promised progress and social justice, inclusive development: more like wishful thinking and empty promises, expectations remained high that the government would continue the project of the revolution, people tried to hold the government accountable. Other social, working class movements: pri moved towards revolutionary populism. Regime that wanted to hold onto power. Regime understood that it was illegitimate in the eyes of a majority of mexicans. More and more state-owned companies, increase social services (healthcare, social security)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers