Making of the Modern World
Course
MMW 15
Professor
Edmond Chang
Semester
Spring

Description
Outline Lecture Nine—Decolonization or Neo-colonialism? Key Questions: 1) How can a decolonized Third world nation best achieve self-empowerment? 2) What are the similarities and differences between imperialism and neo-colonialism I) The Decolonization Process a) Decolonizing Trends in Asia and Africa after 1945 i) In Africa alone, creation of forty new states (1) Inspired by nationalism and spirit of self-determination? (2) Maturation of an indigenous educated class exposed to Western values? ii) Third World nationalists’ participation in W.W.II b) Exceptions to relatively peaceful transitions i) French Indochine (1) Ho Chi Minh’s call for national independence of Vietnam in 1945 (a) Policy of the French Vichy government during the war (b) Impact of French colonial administration (2) Protracted anti-colonial war that lasted eight years (a) Final French defeat at Dien Bien Phu in 1954 ii) Algeria 1955-62 (1) Symbolized by the intransigence of Charles de Gaulle (2) Racism of the “Pied-noir” or “Black foots”
More Less

Related notes for MMW 15

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit