MMW 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Hunter-Gatherer, Social Stratification

28 views2 pages

Document Summary

Outline lecture four-- roots of social stratification in the neolithic: gradual and reluctant shift to the neolithic, problem with the term agricultural revolution a. i) difference between horticulture and agriculture (a. i. 1) (a. i. 2) Agriculture: farming with plows a. ii) why not a revolution per se (a. ii. 1) (a. ii. 2) Gradual process, not a rapid increase/all of a sudden change. Farming a supplement to hunter gatherer lifestyle: expansion of horticulture to agriculture b. i) population increased 16-fold between 9000 and 4000 b. c. e. b. ii) move or grow more food (b. ii. 1) Over time second option became much more viable than the first (b. ii. 1. a) Led to plow development as tilling took too much time b. iii) how did farming/village life expand? (b. iii. 1) Hunter-gatherers continued to hang on to lifestyle so long as it sustained them (b. iii. 1. a) Cities that were overpopulated, people moved to new areas to develop more cities b. iv) Very little evidence of reversion to hunter gatherer lifestyle. Once accustomed to farming, very hard to go back.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers