PSYC 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Eye Tracking, Stroop Effect, Donald Broadbent

23 views7 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Knew the gender of the speaker: cocktail party effect: the ability to focus on one stimulus while filtering out other stimuli e. i. Change to a tone is noticed: models of selective attention, where does the attention filter occur? a. i. Later in processing: early selection model b. i. Treisman"s attenuation theory: late selection model c. i. Mackay (1973: broadbent"s filter model, early-selection model a. i. Filters message before incoming information is analyzed for meaning a. ii. Messages sensory memory filter (attended message) detector to memory: sensory memory b. i. Holds all incoming information for a fraction of a second b. ii. Transfers all information to next stage: filter c. i. Identifies attended message based on physical characteristics c. ii. Only attended message is passed on to the next stage: detector d. i. Processes all information to determine higher-level characteristics of the message: short-term memory e. i. Holds information for 10-15 seconds and may transfer it to long-term memory: broadbent"s model could not explain f. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers