Fall 2012

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANT 2000
Professor
Elyse Anderson
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Living Primates
Primatology tends to be anthropocentric (human-centered)
Put primatology in anthropology because it can tell us about ourselves/what it means to be
human
Chimpanzees/bonobos and humans share 99% of DNA in common; closest living ancestor
Nature vs. nurture debate = how much of human behavior is dependent on biology and how
much from culture? (compare how primates are so similar to us but still not us to explain
humans’ culture and how we came to be)
Earliest primate = 65 million years ago; called plesiadapiforms; dinosaur extinction, new climate
regime (brought up rainforests all over the world), broad expanse of tropical forest-favoring
arboreal species (so basically primates were favored for being able to climb trees and therefore
became more dominant in the animal world)
Gap between extinction of the dinosaurs and the appearance of primates = 10 million years
Primate features =
o Binocular vision = vision with increased depth perception from two eyes set next to each
other allowing their visual fields to overlap ------ allows judgment of depth, direction,
distance, objects relationships, and color
o Stereoscopic vision = complete 3 dimensional vision; from binocular vision and nerve
connections that run from each eye to both sides of the brain ------ allows judgment of
depth, direction, distance, objects relationships, and color
o Primate teeth = incisors (nipping, gnawing, and cutting); canines (ripping, tearing,
killing, and fighting); premolars (tearing or crushing/grinding); molars (crushing and
grinding) ------ enables variety in diet
o Acute sense of touch
o Sensitive pads backed by nails
o Opposable thumb and big toe
o Major increase in brain size, ESPECIALLY IN CEREBRAL HEMISPHERE (AREA
SUPPORTING CONSCIOUS THOUGHT)
o Believed link to increase flexibility in primate behavior (not just instinct, processing and
reacting)
o Change in skeletal form = eyes rotate forward and enclosed in protective bone; reduction
in snout size (IMPORTANCE OF EYESIGHT OVER SMELL!); more upright posture (change
in occipital region; position of spinal cord drops down lower so that the primate can be
more upright)
How primates are divided =
o Used to divide primates into prosimians (sub-order of primates) and anthropoids
o Prosimians = traditionally includes lemurs, lorises, and tarsiers
o Now we know tarsiers are more closely related to anthropoids genetically; however,
makes sense in terms of anatomy and behavior to group them with lemurs and lorises
o Believed to be more similar to ancestral primates in terms of behavior and anatomy
o Small bodied, short pointed snouts, large ears and eyes, and long tails (nocturnal?)
o Also grooming claw and dental comb features
o Anthropoids = monkeys, apes, and humans; larger, active in daytime, and live in large
social groups; divided into New World (North America and South America) monkeys, Old
World (Europe, Asia, and Africa) monkeys, and apes
o New World monkeys have prehensile tails (retain the ability to grasp); arboreal
o Old World monkeys have non-prehensile tails; some arboreal, some terrestrial
o Apes = gibbons, siamangs, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos; large, tail-less,
wide-bodied; shoulder anatomy specialized for brachiation (moving from branch to
branch using the arms, with the body suspended below)
Primate behavior (care of the young)
o Long period of adolescent development; bear few young, but devote a lot of time and
effort to care (baby chimps are nursed for five years of their lives; ten years before

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Living Primates  Primatology tends to be anthropocentric (human-centered)  Put primatology in anthropology because it can tell us about ourselves/what it means to be human  Chimpanzees/bonobos and humans share 99% of DNA in common; closest living ancestor  Nature vs. nurture debate = how much of human behavior is dependent on biology and how much from culture? (compare how primates are so similar to us but still not us to explain humans’ culture and how we came to be)  Earliest primate = 65 million years ago; called plesiadapiforms; dinosaur extinction, new climate regime (brought up rainforests all over the world), broad expanse of tropical forest-favoring arboreal species (so basically primates were favored for being able to climb trees and therefore became more dominant in the animal world)  Gap between extinction of the dinosaurs and the appearance of primates = 10 million years  Primate features = o Binocular vision = vision with increased depth perception from two eyes set next to each other allowing their visual fields to overlap ------ allows judgment of depth, direction, distance, objects relationships, and color o Stereoscopic vision = complete 3 dimensional vision; from binocular vision and nerve connections that run from each eye to both sides of the brain ------ allows judgment of depth, direction, distance, objects relationships, and color o Primate teeth = incisors (nipping, gnawing, and cutting); canines (ripping, tearing, killing, and fighting); premolars (tearing or crushing/grinding); molars (crushing and grinding) ------ enables variety in diet o Acute sense of touch o Sensitive pads backed by nails o Opposable thumb and big toe o Major increase in brain size, ESPECIALLY IN CEREBRAL HEMISPHERE (AREA SUPPORTING CONSCIOUS THOUGHT) o Believed link to increase flexibility in primate behavior (not just instinct, processing and reacting) o Change in skeletal form = eyes rotate forward and enclosed in protective bone; reduction in snout size (IMPORTANCE OF EYESIGHT OVER SMELL!); more upright posture (change in occipital region; position of spinal cord drops down lower so that the primate can be more upright)  How primates are divided = o Used to divide primates into prosimians (sub-order of primates) and anthropoids o Prosimians = traditionally includes lemurs, lorises, and tarsiers o Now we know tarsiers are more closely related to anthropoids genetically; however, makes sense in terms of anatomy and behavior to group them with lemurs and lorises o Believed to be more similar to ancestral primates in terms of behavior and anatomy o Small bodied, short pointed snouts, large ears and eyes, and long tails (nocturnal?) o Also grooming claw and dental comb features o Anthropoids = monkeys, apes, and humans; larger, active in daytime, and live in large social groups; divided into New World (North America and South America) monkeys, Old World (Europe, Asia, and Africa) monkeys, and apes o New World monkeys have prehensile tails (retain the ability to grasp); arboreal
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit