Lecture 16 -- Marriage & Family.docx

2 Pages

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANT 2000
Professor
Elyse Anderson

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Marriage & Family
Marriage = a culturally sanctioned union between two or more people that establishes certain
rights and obligations between the people, between them and their children, and between them
and their in-laws; such marriage rights and obligations most often includebut are not limited
tosex, labor, property, childrearing, exchange, and status
Why not “a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife,” as reflected in
US federal law?
Marriage encompasses the biological and the cultural = it embeds mating within an elaborately
constructed social and cultural niche
Backed up by social, political, and ideological factors while also regulating sexual relations and
reproductive rights and obligations
Marriage plays an important role in the formation of social groups; creates affinal relationships
(relations based on marriage) in contrast to consanguinal (blood) ties
Culturally specific rules of marriage involve both endogamy and exogamy
Endogamy = marriage within a particular group or category of individuals
Exogamy = marriage outside of the group
Why have rules for endogamy and exogamy? = incest taboo; biologically in our best interest
(genetics-wise); etc.
Example = Trobriand islanders have to marry outside their clan/lineage (exogamy), but village
endogamy is the norm
Forms of marriage =
o Monogamy = a marriage form in which both partners have just one spouse; in parts of
the world where divorce and remarriage is high, serial monogamy is the norm (end up
being in a series of long-term monogamous marriages); the norm
o Polygamy = a marriage form in which one individual has multiple spouses at the same
time (polygyny = man with more than wife; polyandry = woman with more than one
husband)
o Group marriage = (see below!)
Common wisdom = polygyny is particularly common in traditional food-producing societies where
women provide bulk of cultivation labor; women are valued as both workers and child bearers;
also multiple wives can be a source of prestige…. (shows wives; probably savvy)
Polyandry is comparatively rare; in Tibet, inheritance is through male line and arable land is
limited, so the marriage of brothers to a single woman keeps the land together and keeps
population growth at bay
Do you find these explanations satisfactory? Is it exclusively about economics?
Alternative approaches = polygyny in the US; outlawed by Mormon Church in 1890; yet, estimate
of 30,000-50,000 people in Rocky Mountain states live in households made up of a man with two
or more wives (Egan 1999); people have agency
People have agency = people aren’t robots; don’t follow boundaries of their culture exactly;
always cases that fit outside those lines (just because monogamy is law doesn’t mean everybody
practices it)
Polyamory = the practice, state, or ability of having more than one sexual (for some, romantic)
loving relationship at the same time, with the full knowledge and consent of all partners involved
(Anapol 1997); can come in a range of shapes and sizes (sexual orientations, sexes, etc.)
Aviram (2008) documents a reluctance in this community to adhere to the “rigid and archaic”
institution of marriage (believe having some official structure to their relationships restricts them)
“Marriage” is not stagnant = our ideas of marriage are changing; hence, the debate about same-
sex marriage
Group marriage = a marriage form in which several men and women have sexual access to one
another; also called co-marriage (alternative marriage out of the “West”)
Example = Inupiat Eskimos of northern Alaska; spouse exchange between two husband-wife
couples that are united by shared sexual access; these relationships are based on mutual aid and
support across territorial boundaries and expected to last a lifetime

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Marriage & Family  Marriage = a culturally sanctioned union between two or more people that establishes certain rights and obligations between the people, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws; such marriage rights and obligations most often include—but are not limited to—sex, labor, property, childrearing, exchange, and status  Why not “a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife,” as reflected in US federal law?  Marriage encompasses the biological and the cultural = it embeds mating within an elaborately constructed social and cultural niche  Backed up by social, political, and ideological factors while also regulating sexual relations and reproductive rights and obligations  Marriage plays an important role in the formation of social groups; creates affinal relationships (relations based on marriage) in contrast to consanguinal (blood) ties  Culturally specific rules of marriage involve both endogamy and exogamy  Endogamy = marriage within a particular group or category of individuals  Exogamy = marriage outside of the group  Why have rules for endogamy and exogamy? = incest taboo; biologically in our best interest (genetics-wise); etc.  Example = Trobriand islanders have to marry outside their clan/lineage (exogamy), but village endogamy is the norm  Forms of marriage = o Monogamy = a marriage form in which both partners have just one spouse; in parts of the world where divorce and remarriage is high, serial monogamy is the norm (end up being in a series of long-term monogamous marriages); the norm o Polygamy = a marriage form in which one individual has multiple spouses at the same time (polygyny = man with more than wife; polyandry = woman with more than one husband) o Group marriage = (see below!)  Common wisdom = polygyny is particularly common in traditional food-producing societies where women provide bulk of cultivation labor; women are valued as both workers and child bearers; also multiple wives can be a source of prestige…. (shows wives; probably savvy)  Polyandry is comparatively rare; in Tibet, inheritance is through male line and arable land is limited, so the marriage of brothers to a single woman keeps the land together and keeps population growth at bay  Do you find these explanations satisfactory? Is it exclusively about economics?  Alternative approaches = polygyny in the US; outlawed by Mormon Church in 1890; yet, estimate of 30,000-50,000 people in Rocky Mountain states live in households made up of a man with two or more wives (Egan 1999); people have agency  People have agency = people aren’t robots; don’t follow boundaries of their culture exactly; always cases that fit outside those lines (just because monogamy is law doesn’t mean everybody practices it)  Polyamory = the practice, state, or ability of havi
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit