ANT 3620 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Spreadability, Imagined Community, Arpanet

54 views8 pages

Document Summary

Pidgin: results from at least two groups with different languages trying to communicate, as in situations of trade. Serves as linga franca commercial language between groups. Rudimentary vocabulary and grammatical items, one language used more than the other. Tripela = three of something, us three. Dispela man i cam asde em papa bilong me. = the man who came yesterday is my father. Creole: expanded pidgin language to serve the entire range of functions of a speech community. Tok pisin is now a creole language. Creoles may become the first official language or pressured to fully transform into a dominant language. Creole formation: nativized pidgins: acquired as a native language. Source language, replaced in a contact situation, basic grammatical structure and categories. Target language, replacing in a contact situation, lexicon, language of the colonizer. Teaching a language implies that there is a structure and that there will be a community. Swabian and moselle franconian speakers 40% german.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers