Anthropology (230)
ANT 3520 (85)

The Profession.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
ANT 3520
Katie Rubin

The Profession • The profession of forensic anthropology o Educational requirements  Minimum of master’s degree  Usually requires a Ph.D. o Average of c. 8.5 years post-BA o Average age of recipient is 39.5 • How do I do it? o BA from a good school  Good grades and GRE o Seek broad training o Try to get at least some experience  CA Pound lab volunteer/Internship  ME internship  CSI internship  Training courses o Attend meetings  AAFS  FEMORS  FAME  MD&C o Obtain and read scientific journals • Job options o Academia o Medical Examiner’s office o JPAC or other labs o Non-government agencies o Federal agencies (DMORT) • Academia Anthropologists o Ph.D. Required o Salary between 45k and 110k o Teaching, research and service o Intense competition for jobs o Few placement ads specify forensics • MEO-based anthropologists o BA or MA o Salary between 35k and 75k o May serve as forensic anthropologist o Usually cross trained to perform other tasks o ABMDI Certification • Human rights and disasters o MA or PhD o Usually not full time occupations o An opportunity for fieldwork and gaining experience o A way in which anthropologists can contribute; usually not seen as a way to make money o Way to give back for one’s experience • Park Service o National park service/state park service/ forestry division
More Less

Related notes for ANT 3520

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.