Ch. 7 (Pt. 2)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
Biology - Biological Sciences
BSC 2010
Gerlach, Nicole

2/15/13 Ch. 7 I. Sexual Reproduction A. Offspring comes from 2 parents 1. Requires gametes: 2 parents each contribute 1 gamete B. Parents: 2n, offspring: 2n C. Meiosis - process of cell division that starts w/ a diploid cell and results in haploid cells D. Fertilization - haploid cell becomes a diploid cell E. Zygote is the only difference F. Alternation of generations - organism passes through equal amount of both haploid and diploid stages II. Why Sex A. Allows random selection of half the diploid chromosome set B. Forms haploid gamete that fuses w/ another to make a diploid cell C. Generates diversity III. Meiosis A. 2 nuclear divisions but DNA is only replicated once 1. Reduces chromosome number from diploid to haploid 2. Each haploid gamete still has a complete set of chromosomes B. Phases are similar to mitosis but arrangement and separation of chromosomes are different C. Tetrads - pairs of homologs that appear in late prohpase/prometaphase D. Metaphase 1: homologous chromosomes line up E. Independent assortment - allows for different combinations of homologous chromosomes in the daughter cells at metaphase I and anaphase I
More Less

Related notes for BSC 2010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.