Journalism
Course
MMC 2604
Professor
Mariam Alkazemi
Semester
Fall

Description
10/2/13 Guest Speaker Notes o Communication and Culture: How do mass media affect the evolution of language? o Mass Communication o Mass communication: when individuals and entities relay information through mass media o Culture: the learned behavior, language and attitudes of members of a given social group o Culture is constructed and maintained through communication o Catfish – early origin o Christian stories  Tale of Faust, Mephistopheles  Parable of the leaven (Matthew 13:33) o Cod shipping in Europe, North America o Famous Movie Quotes o “Say hello to my little friend” –Scarface o “I’m the king of the world” –Titanic o “I’ll be back” –Terminator o “Show me the money” –Jerry Maguire o “I see dead people” –The Sixth Sense o Language o Words are added to our dictionaries as our language evolves o Sources:  Books  Journals  Newspapers  Magazines  Electronic publications and message boards  Song lyrics  TV Scripts o Muggle: a person who lacks a particular skill or skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way  Added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003 o Meatspace: the physical world, as opposed to a virtual world (or cyberspace)  Added in 2000 o Bling bling: flashy jewelry worn especially as an indication of wealth  Added in 2003 o Bootylicious: sexually attractive, sexy, shapely  Added in 2004 o Crunk: a style of southern rap music featuring repetitive chants and rapid dance rhythms (cranked + drunk)  Added to Merriam Webster Collegiate in 2007 o Twerk: dance to p
More Less

Related notes for MMC 2604

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit