LIN 3010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Indirect Speech, Grammatical Gender, Linguistic Anthropology

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Linguistic anthropology: study of how language interacts with and shapes social structure and culture. I(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) so(cid:272)ial orga(cid:374)izatio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d (cid:272)ultural (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g as the(cid:455)"re refle(cid:272)ted i(cid:374) the structure, lexicon, and conventions of a given language. Kinship terms: organized by gender, generation, lineage, and blood relation. Communicative competence: ability to interact and communicate per cultural norms. Include politeness strategies, speaker roles, turn-taking rules, and greetings. Indexicality: symbols: the relationship between the linguistic form and the object/idea it refers to is arbitrary. Icons: signs whose signifier resembles/imitates its referent in some direct way. I(cid:374)de(cid:454): sig(cid:374) (cid:449)here the sig(cid:374)ifier does(cid:374)"t rese(cid:373)(cid:271)le its refere(cid:374)t, (cid:271)ut (cid:374)either is the relationship b/t signifier and signified arbitrary. Linguistic relativity hypothesis: argues that the language someone speaks affects how they perceive the world: two versions: linguistic relativity and linguistic determinism. In english-speaking north america, the use of indirect speech is normally seen as politer than speaking directly and bluntly.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers