6 Pages

Department
Health Outcomes & Policy
Course Code
MDU 4003
Professor
Rhamani, Mariam
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Internal Medicine with Dr. Pauly
chief of internal medicine, also teaches in medical school
associate professor and director of division of internal medicine
started with 8 to 32 staff member
Faculty:
Hospilice- dedicate time to inpatients, sick and need to hospitalized
OR
managing hypertension, diabetes - outpatients
OR
she does the teaching program (primary what she does)
Class: Essentials of Patient Care
4 semester continuum
first day to take in medical school
-stethescope activity as beginning to clinical experience
-exposure to patients: learn ask questions related to medical history, empathy, body language,
verbal and nonverbal
-interact with trained patients and real patients
-2nd year: paired with one faculty member to two students
grew up in west alabama
school in vanderbilt (4 yrs)
medical school in university of alabama in birmingham
university of north carolina in sheffield hill - internal medicine residency
alabama: 2 yrs of cardiology fellowship
met husband, married
moved to baltimore, NIH basic lab astrobiology 5 years, 2 children
1995- john hopkins residency
moved to UF in 1997
interested in medicine b/c there were no physicians
-traveled an hour to see a doctor
kind caring and open, patient would want to carry out the therapy
less than 50% prescriptions are filled after office visits
internal medicine: care for adult patients
-residency medicine and practice general internal medicine and open a practice
-role in preventing disease by educating patients looking at screening methods,
-3 yr residency program, then practice general internal medicine
-many go on to subspecialize such as cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, infectious
diseases
-fellowships take 1 to 4 years
academic position/ clinical practice, outpatient clinic, teach and direct course
personality
-curious
want to carry out task in completion
-good listening skills
-enjoy people, interpersonal career
family medicine also encompasses pediatrics
ob gyn delivers babies
internal medicine stresses inpatient intensive care as well as outpatient experiences
-more complicated than family medicine
-in general, it can expand more
-subspecialties, you can pick to work in research,
-managing technology, trying to keep up,
trying to balance risks
-evidence face medicine, “how likely is this patient going to have a certain disease”
CHALLENGES
HMO’s potentially eliminate care
-not as dominant in some areas
-underinsured i'll seek care later
favorite patient stories:
lung cancer couple, wife is lost
moving inspirational
focusing outside of themselves
establish contact with the whole family
Case Studies by Dr. DuBose
3rd year resident
medical school in south carolina
intern: caring 4-10 patients on their own
20 minutes for a patients, get to hospital early
7-10 minutes
8:00 resident, 2 interns (kein)

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Internal Medicine with Dr. Pauly chief of internal medicine, also teaches in medical school associate professor and director of division of internal medicine started with 8 to 32 staff member Faculty: Hospilice- dedicate time to inpatients, sick and need to hospitalized OR managing hypertension, diabetes - outpatients OR she does the teaching program (primary what she does) Class: Essentials of Patient Care 4 semester continuum first day to take in medical school -stethescope activity as beginning to clinical experience -exposure to patients: learn ask questions related to medical history, empathy, body language, verbal and nonverbal -interact with trained patients and real patients -2nd year: paired with one faculty member to two students grew up in west alabama school in vanderbilt (4 yrs) medical school in university of alabama in birmingham university of north carolina in sheffield hill - internal medicine residency alabama: 2 yrs of cardiology fellowship met husband, married moved to baltimore, NIH basic lab astrobiology 5 years, 2 children 1995- john hopkins residency moved to UF in 1997 interested in medicine b/c there were no physicians -traveled an hour to see a doctor kind caring and open, patient would want to carry out the therapy less than 50% prescriptions are filled after office visits internal medicine: care for adult patients -residency medicine and practice general internal medicine and open a practice -role in preventing disease by educating patients looking at screening methods, -3 yr residency program, then practice general internal medicine -many go on to subspecialize such as cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, infectious diseases -fellowships take 1 to 4 years academic position/ clinical practice, outpatient clinic, teach and direct course personality -curious want to carry out task in completion -good listening skills -enjoy people, interpersonal career family medicine also encompasses pediatrics ob gyn delivers babies internal medicine stresses inpatient intensive care as well as outpatient experiences -more complicated than family medicine -in general, it can expand more -subspecialties, you can pick to work in research, -managing technology, trying to keep up, trying to balance risks -evidence face medicine, “how likely is this patient going to have a certain disease” CHALLENGES HMO’s potentially eliminate care -not as dominant in some areas -underinsured i'll seek care later favorite patient stories: lung cancer couple, wife is lost moving inspirational focusing outside of themselves establish contact with the whole family Case Studies by Dr. DuBose 3rd year resident medical school in south carolina intern: caring 4-10 patients on their own 20 minutes for a patients, get to hospital early 7-10 minutes 8:00 resident, 2 interns (kein) 9:00 morning report (1 hour conference with other doctors) Case: unusual or something that's common rounds, check up on patients (30 minutes/ 3.5 hours) 1 hour to get work done 12:00 lunch and conference, and admitting patients Case: 55 yrs old, shortness of breath (heart, lungs). trip down to ohio. stop at rest area. short of breath. never had something like this before. kids are sick group by problems, organ system ask open-ended questions - pneumonia, “so how’s it going” rabbit’s foot “where’d you get the rabbit's foot” 1. history 2. past medical history 3. differential diagnosis (cardiac and pulmonary, and cancer) a. internist goes deep and uncommon diseases, 4. past surgical history 5. family history 6. social history 7. allergies to medications 8. review of organ systems 9. vital signs (tachycardia, expect a murmur but no murmur) 10. Labs (31:08 youtube) 11. EKG (very subtle, downward deflections are not normal) 12. chest x-ray conclusion: pulmonary embolus ● pulses, swelling on left side (clot starts on feet) put him on blood thinners (ventilation perfusion scan--blood flow and oxygen b/w lungs and heart) lydic therapy questions: on service, 80-100 hours a week. spend night every 4,5th night intern: 6-6pm (12 hrs) M-F , one day is 24 hours and get out earlier next day weekends (if not on call) Senior Resident - electiv
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit