MDU 4003 Lecture 5: 5b Ear Nose and Throat notes

3 Pages

Department
Health Outcomes & Policy
Course Code
MDU 4003
Professor
Rhamani, Mariam

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Dr. Sedwick ENT Otorhinolaryngology - oldest medical subspecialty in the US trained in medical and surgical areas of the ear, nose and throat commonly referred to as ENT physicians special skills with treatments of the sinus (sinusitis), voice box (vocal chord nodules, singers/screamers nodules), diseases of the oral cavity, as well as other structures of the head, neck and face. treat both children and adults Ears: hearing loss affects 1/10 North Americans treat both medical and surgical problems with hearing, ear infections, and balance disorders b/c these areas are very close to the inner ear, noise in the ears (tinnitus), nerve pain, and cranial nerve disorders, congenital Disorders of the inner and outer ear. Nose: 35 million americans develop chronic sinusitis each year, making it one of the most common health complaints in the United States. primary care of the nasal cavities and sinuses is one of the primary skills management of the nasal area includes treatment of allergies, loss of sense of smell (anosmia), difficulty with breathing disorders, problems with nasal appearance Throat: Communication, Speech and singing Voice Box: Larynx, upper digestive tract (esophagus) treatment of the throat would include swallowing and voice disorders Head/ Neck: primarily oncologists of these cancers includes important nerves that control sight, smell, hearing, and the face important to understand anatomy to remove tumors benign and malignant tumors facial trauma and deformities of the face cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive procedures Common problems: ears(otology portion in biology): swimmers ear, infection of the ear in children, ringing of the ear, hearing loss or (tinnitus), ear pain pediatric patients: tonsil infections, asthma, allergy/sinuses, pediatric airway head/neck surgery: cancerous tumors, lump in the neck of unknown origin, cancer of the voice box, nodules in the thyroid which may require surgical treatment Facial plastic surgery*: rhinoplasty (change of appearance in the nose due to trauma and general deformity), face lifting procedure (due to aging), cleft palate repair, surgeries to improve drooping the eyelids (can be due to age, sun exposure, and genetics) Rhinology (treatment of nasal diseases): sinus disorders, nosebleeds, treatment of stuffy nose, treatment of loss of smell, Typical Case: 60 yr old male with history of ear/throat pain with hoarseness for about 3 months. referred from primary care physician (family practitioner) after the doctor noted “no improvement of ant
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit